Who’s up for a few fudgy homemade brownies? Perhaps the tastiest baking project out there, brownies are the very definition of a comfy indulgence, and both kids and grown-ups love them.
Talking about grown-up versions of such delicious chocolate squares, let’s make a batch of red wine brownies. Red wine gives brownies a distinct flavors, elevates them, and makes them more memorable. The best part? Making red wine brownies is easy and takes less than an hour. Here’s what you need to know about this vinous baking treat.
Wine and Chocolate In Harmony
Red wine brownies are trending, but pairing wine and chocolate is nothing new. Although some ‘experts’ don’t recommend pairing wine and chocolate, there’s nothing wrong with it. In fact, it’s a beautiful combination. Red wine tastes like berries, and berries are lovely with chocolate. Think of chocolate-coated cherries — that’s the same flavors combination in wine and chocolate pairings!
Before we share a recipe for red wine brownies, let us invite you to a Yarra Valley Wine Tour for 2, where you can taste exclusive wine that goes great with chocolate. Every Yarra Valley Premium Winery Tour is tailored to your needs, so we’ll be happy to make your trip to the wine county as comfortable and fun as possible based on what you like.
Perhaps the most gourmet friendly excursion from Melbourne, and one enjoyed by locals and also tourists looking for cruise ship excursions, our Yarra Valley Private Winery tours are something not to miss. Explore our selection of Private Winery tours in Yarra Valley and enjoy!
How to Make Red Wine Brownies?
Red wine brownies are like regular homemade brownies. What you get by mixing all the ingredients is a glossy batter, in this case, flavored by just a splash of red wine.
Although red wine brownie recipes call for relatively small amounts of wine, you can certainly tell there’s wine in them, and it’s for its fruity flavors complementing the taste of fudgy chocolate.
Adding wine increases the brownie batter’s moisture, so we must add a bit of flour to compensate. Other than that, making red wine brownies is easy and fun!
Red Wine Brownies Recipe
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Total time: 40 minutes
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 5 cups granulated sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup melted chocolate chips
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup of red wine
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 175°C (350°F)
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the melted butter and sugar. Add the eggs one at a time, the vanilla and the melted (microwaved) chocolate.
- Once smooth, incorporate the flour, cocoa powder, salt and red wine. A stand mixer is ideal for getting a smooth mixture, but you can also combine the ingredients with a hand mixer.
- Fold the chocolate chips and pour the mixture into a greased baking tray.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until the brownies are firm and their surface is glossy and dry.
- Cool in a rack until manageable and slice into 9-12 squares.
- Enjoy with a glass of sweet red wine!
Any red wine will work to make brownies, but fruity wines made with Merlot or Shiraz are ideal. You can also use fortified red wine and reduce the amount of sugar to one cup.